museum emergency recreation construction maps calendar

Source Protection

Centerville City has a source protection plan that helps to protect Centerville's water.  Two-thirds of our water comes from deep wells and one-third is bought from Weber Basin Water.  The water you drink could be easily polluted by paints, used motor oil, gasoline, antifreeze or lawn and garden chemicals.  All this can be washed down the gutter and can filter down through the ground aquifer.  Please note that we have a source protection plan and it can be reviewed at the Centerville City Public Works Department.
Facts to consider:

    One gallon of gasoline can pollute up to 600,000 gallons of ground water.
    One gram of 2-4d ( a common household herbicide ) can contaminate 2.6 million gallons of drinking water.
    Four quarts of oil can cause an eight-acre oil slick if spilled or dumped down a storm drain.


Read lables and follow the directions on the container.
Try to buy only the amount needed for the job.
Don't over treat your lawn or trees.  Try to only spot treat an area when possible.
Do not throw away any of the leftovers.  Don't let any run into the road or down the gutter.  Do not pour leftover fluids down the toilet, floor drain or sink.  Before you throw a container in the trash, it needs to be triple rinsed.  A rinsed container can be used for future pesticide/fertilizer formulations.
Do not spray or apply around wells or a conduit to the ground.
Clean up spills as fast and safely as possible.
Dispose of batteries properly.
Turn your old battery back in for a new one.
Don't store old batteries out where they can leak into the ground.
Try to use all of the paint.
If there is some left in the container, let it dry up by leaving the lid off.  In addition, kitty litter or sawdust can be added to the paint, and then leave the lid off and let it dry.  You can throw the container away after the paint has had a chance to dry completely.
When you purchase oil for an oil change, ask if you can bring your used oil back for recycling.
Davis County Environmental Health Division at (801) 451-3296 has a complete list of locations that accept oil.  Some locations are:

    Express Care, 55 West 400 North in Centerville
    Jiffy Lube, 180 North 500 West or 327 West 500 South in
    BountifulAuto Zone, 615 South 500 West in Bountiful

When you flush your radiator, make sure of the following:
When you buy new fluid, see if they will take the old antifreeze back.  Drain it into a container for recycling.
Hazardous waste should be properly disposed of by recycling.
For questions about recycling or disposing of hazardous waste, if you live in Davis County, call Davis County Health Department, Environmental Health Division at (801) 451-3296.
Other departments you can call are:

    Division of Drinking Water Source Protection Program--(801) 536-4200
    Department of Agriculture--(801) 538-7100
    Environmental Hotline--(800) 458-0145
    Division of Solid & Hazardous Waste--(801) 538-6170

This information has been provided to help you protect our water, but it is the sole responsibility of the owner of the product to dispose of all hazardous waste in an appropriate manner.