museum emergency recreation construction maps calendar

City Links

Community Development Department
655 North 1250 West
Centerville, UT 84014
P: (801) 292-8232
F: (801) 292-8251
Community Development Director
Cory Snyder
Assistant City Planner
Cassie Younger
Planning and Zoning Technician
Donna Wilkinson
Building Official
Myron Williams


How To Apply For A Home Occupation Business License

Centerville is a great place to start and carry on a business! This office has designed this set of procedures to help you understand some of the requirements for opening a business in your home.

* If you wish to use a business name (DBA – which means doing business as), you must register that name with the State Division of Corporations, Assumed Name Section, located at the Heber Wells Building 160 East 300 South, Salt Lake City, 530-6955. The fee is $22 for three (3) years. You must file either a copy of your approved DBA (doing business as), a state approved copy of the Articles of Organization for LLC’s or Articles of Incorporation for Corporations, at the time of application. Apply for a DBA online click here. Adobe Acrobat PDF(Requires Adobe Acrobat Reader to view)

* Generally, businesses involved with the sale of a tangible product must apply for a State Sales Tax number. You may obtain that number from the State Tax Commission at 210 North 1950 West, Salt Lake City. If you anticipate commencing business in less than 8 weeks, you will need to apply for that number in person. There is no charge. If the business is a sole proprietorship (or other similar circumstance where there is no immediate need for an EIN number) you may apply for your State Sales Tax Number at the same time as you apply for the DBA (item #1 above), you may obtain both items at the Heber Wells Building, 160 East 300 South, Salt Lake City. You must provide written proof of a valid sales tax number.

* For additional information on registering your business, visit:

* Fees are adopted by City Council and are set at $40.00 per year. All licenses expire on December 31st of each year. Renewal forms are sent at the end of November. All License renewals are due by January 1st. A 10% penalty will be assessed on accounts not paid within 30 days and an additional 18% per annum will be charged on accounts delinquent after 60 days.

* A license is granted when approvals have been received from several different departments, including Planning & Zoning, South Davis Fire District, Police and/or Davis County Health Department. Only Child Care and Family Group Care are required to obtain both a South Davis Fire Inspection and approvals from the Davis County Health Department. See below for information in contacting these departments for the necessary inspections and approvals.

South Davis Metro Fire Agency PH: 677-2412 Req. Y / N Appt:
Davis County Health Dept PH: 451-3296 Req. Y / N Appt:

* You must initial and agree with the items listed on the permit application. If your home business should require a Conditional Use Permit, you must first file a Conditional Use Permit Application, submit a $150.00 fee and present your request before the Centerville City Planning Commission for approval.

If you have any questions or need assistance in completing this application, please contact the Business License Department at 292-8232 and we will be happy to assist you. Completed applications should be submitted to the Business License Department, 655 North 1250 West, Centerville, UT 84014.